Project risk management workshop
George Merguerian, PMP, Business Management Consultants
Projects are inherently risky ventures. In this workshop, you will learn how to manage risk in everyday project work, as well as learn how project risks are identified, assessed and mitigated and contingency plans prepared.
Learn how to:
- Identify risk
- Perform qualitative and quantitative risk analysis
- Plan to risk responses
- Monitor and control risks
- Use the critical path as a risk management tool
- Use risk simulation techniques
Benefit from best practices in risk management
Going global: adaptation of methods and practices to a multi-cultural environment
George Liakeas, PMP, NEXANS
This workshop will address the challenge of being assertive, quick, and to the point in one culture, while succeeding in being unassertive, patient, and somewhat indirect in another.
Participants will be become acquainted with tools and techniques for a project team that spans different locations, time zones, cultures and languages, and learn how to
- Build trust, resolving conflict, influencing, negotiating
- Manage communication channels
- Organize project meetings
- Use English
- Select human resources
- Manage a virtual team
Cost estimating techniques
George Merguerian, PMP, Business Management Consultants
This workshop drills down into the more applied aspects of project estimation and budgeting. It will focus on project budget estimation techniques including the use of PERT and simulations like Monte Carlo Analysis.
- Understand how a project budget is constructed and cost estimates developed
- Learn about PERT and simulation techniques like the usage of Monte Carlo Analysis and Tornado Diagrams
- Discuss the advantages and pitfalls of the above techniques and best practices in estimation.
- Develop a framework on which to base project status and progress reports
Recommended practices for subcontractor management
Christos Vassilicos, PMP, Project Director, CGI
Today's complex solutions often mean partnering with third parties to offer clients the right solution to meet their needs. As reliance on subcontractors increases, additional emphasis is required on managing subcontractor risk. This is an iterative process throughout the life of an engagement. This presentation will examine best practices in subcontractor management across the different engagement phases from pre-proposal to proposal, contracting, pre-delivery and delivery.
- Understand the project manager’s role in subcontractor management
- Identify and mitigate contract risks
- Select sellers and request sellers response
- Understand the proposal process
- Match contract type to the project
Understand pre-delivery and delivery contract practices
Cross cultural communication skills
Mike Robbs, Hellenic American Union
This workshop explores key aspects of handling interaction with parties operating around the world. The workshop will explore why culture matters, examine our expectations and prejudices, point out key cross cultural differences, develop participants’ skill of avoiding faux pas, highlight the contrasting business styles around the globe, suggest ways of overcoming problems with clients and colleagues caused by cultural misunderstandings, and identify how to conduct oneself appropriately with someone who has a cultural bias against you.
- Improve the efficiency of your company’s cooperation with foreign partners, clients, vendors, and colleagues
- Know how to behave around persons from other cultures
- Avoid misunderstandings when doing business internationally.
Managing new IT product development projects
Thanos Moraitinis, PMP, Adjunct Professor, Hellenic American University
In today's competitive environment, creating winning products is essential for an organization’s survival. This workshop provides an overview of techniques and practices for making informed decisions on new product development by utilizing market and user research techniques throughout the product development cycle - from vision to shipping.
- Learn about the latest global trends and practices in managing innovation
- Understand the product development cycle
- Understand the value of collaborating inside and outside the performing organization during product development
- Deliver a clear, data-backed, and relevant product vision
- Learn tools and techniques to identify both explicit needs and implicit expectations of target customers
- Learn how to produce and use essential information for decision making during the product development cycle
Agile project management practices: adapting project behaviors to the software development environment
Bill Doescher, PMP,CSM, Principal Consultant, Business Management Consultants
Project management is about leading teams to create unique products and services. In recent years, project management practitioners have developed common methods and tools that have proven effective across many types of projects in establishing the proper environment and stakeholder behaviors that lead to successful results. Software application development projects, however, have presented unique challenges in applying traditional project management methods, and new agile approaches have evolved to address these challenges. This workshop provides an overview of some of the principles of project management agility and the associated changes in roles and behaviors of the project players.
- Identify the unique challenges of managing software development projects
- Learn how the fundamental principles of agile project management address these challenges
- Understand how the roles and behaviors of key project participants are affected by a transition to agile practices
Personal power and influence
Yiannis Petropoulos, Hellenic American Union
Career success is highly dependent on our ability to influence others, and to motivate them to do what we need them to do. The best way to exert greater influence is to focus on our personal power. Personal power is our inner capacity to build the necessary trust, respect, and commitment of others. We should realize the sources of our personal power and identify our influencing style so that we can use it to realize our career goals. By developing self-confidence we can improve performance and interpersonal collaboration increasing our personal level of effectiveness and influence in the workplace.
- Understand the value of self-confidence and learn ways how to become influential in the workplace
Identify areas where you can increase your personal level of effectiveness
Effective contracts negotiations
Nikolaos Samaras, PgDL, LPC, Hellenic American Union
The success or failure of a project depends on how well project managers plan, execute and control contractual agreements.
This workshop provides an introduction to drafting contracts and negotiating contractual agreements.
- Learn about the structure and types of contracts
- Understand evaluation criteria
- Coordinate the process of negotiation and documentation
- Draft effective clauses
- Minimize conflicts and litigation
- Avoid unnecessary legal costs
Explore MS Project 2010
Gerasimos Kontaxis, Instructor, Hellenic American Union
This workshop provides you with an overview of the basic tools of MSP 2010 plus some tips and tricks to help you start building and tracking project schedules with precision. You will become familiar with the basic menus, views and reports using sample project data. You will have the opportunity to work on your own PC and start building a project schedule in MSP2010. This is a hands-on workshop with PCs, which can only accommodate a limited number of participants. Participants are requested to register especially for this workshop by filling in the necessary information in the conference’s registration form.
- Discover the basic menus of MSP 2010
- Learn how to allocate tasks and resources
- Monitor and control your schedules
- Track and evaluate performance
- Get an introduction of the basic variances
Generate basic reports